Electricians Available 24 Hours a Day
Call Now! 07782 805852
If there is an abrupt rise in the use of electrical current or leakage, your RCD will react. This could be due to frozen contents or fridge thawing.
Sometimes, an appliance that is not properly connected can cause an unexpected spike in the electricity supply. If this happens, the RCD may trip and will then be reset as it is intended to do. Soon after, the electricity supply should resume normal.
Moisture inside electrical boxes and sockets may cause a trip to the RCD. It is essential to identify moisture in your socket box immediately. External electrical terminal boxes and outlets must be checked periodically for moisture.
Spikes may also occur due to older appliances like dryers and washing machines that are not properly connected or maintained. With motors and pumps, if there is a correlation between the frequency/time of surges and use of an appliance, then it is most likely that that appliance was causing the RCD trip.
When there is an abrupt spike in electricity, it can cause serious injury or damage. These spikes can be caused by lightning strikes, electrical faults, power tools, appliances with motors or pumps, old washing machines and dryers and so on.
A faulty component in your central heating could cause RCD trips. An RCD trip is often triggered when the faulty part turns on and off repeatedly, which may lead to false alarms. If you have a defective component that causes frequent or long-lasting RCD trips in your home, permanent damage can be done to your electrical equipment.
Ohhhhh! The fuse box tripped once more. It happened right in the middle of the match. If your fuse box keeps tripping even though you’re not sure why, it can be very frustrating. It could indicate that your wiring or appliances are faulty. You can reset it every now and again. You could also identify the source of the problem, and fix it once for all.
Your fuse box (or consumer unit, as electricians call it) is usually on the ground floor if you live in a house, underneath the stairs. Keep the area surrounding your consumer unit clean so that you can quickly access them in an emergency. If you live alone, the unit will likely be higher up than a wall in your hallway.
A fusebox is essential to your safety. It’s like a gatekeeper between you, the mains electric supply, and any electrical currents entering your home.
These currents can be dangerous and could cause a fatality if there is a fault or surge. The fuse box detects unusual activity and cuts off electricity flow to the circuit if it becomes too high. Electrical fires, electric shocks and other accidents would happen all too frequently if modern homes weren’t fitted with fuse boxes or circuit breakers.
If your fuse box panel is open, you can check to see if it has fuses. Circuit breakers look like a series of switches or levers. Fuses are more traditional. They’re round, and screw into sockets much like tiny light bulbs.
Do yourself a favor and label your circuit breakers and fuses. Mark them according to where they are located and what lights or sockets they go off when you turn them on. You will be remembered by your future self in case a circuit breaks.
A professional electrician must be called in if there is a major electrical problem. The most important thing to remember is to switch off and unplug whatever it is you need to work on so there’s no danger of a live current and call Gigi Emergency Electrician at 07782 805852 If you have fuse box problems in Stourbridge, Lye, Hayley Green, call Gigi Emergency Electrician today! 07782 805852
Miniature Circuit Breakers (MCBs) are protective electromagnetic devices. They act as a switch within a circuit. The circuit is automatically opened when they detect that the current flowing over it has exceeded a specified limit. This device can also be used to manually turn on and off normal switches.
MCBs are also known as time delay tripping devices which trip and shut down the system whenever there is an overcurrent flowing for a longer period of time and there is a danger to the entire circuit. These devices can also trip and shut down the power supply in short-circuits. This happens within 2.5 milliseconds.
Fault is an error or malfunction in an electrical system. If not rectified promptly, a fault could lead to an explosion or fire.
Faults are hazardous to the system & require to be cleared at the earliest thus, there is a need for such a device which not only is capable of clearing the fault but also has a lower opening time in order to save the let-through energy & minimize the thermal stress.
A protection device called MCB (miniature circuit breaker) that offers protection against overload and short-circuit is the MCB. It has a bimetal & a single-ended coil that trips the MCB in cases of Overload & Short Circuit. Conforming to IEC 60898-1 MCB can be used for lower ratings starting at 0.5125A.
They are safety devices that can not only protect electrical appliances and gadgets but also the wiring of the house. If an MCB trip occurs, it is a sign that there is a serious problem and should be addressed immediately.
On average an electrical fire or short has a distinct burning copper or metal smell to it. It is possible to smell rubber mixed with plastic. This is not something to laugh at as it could indicate that your main power supply has been overload. You should immediately turn off your main power supply and contact your electrician for assistance. They can let you know if the issue is serious and if you should contact the fire department.
Sometimes the electrical smell is caused by an item you have plugged in, and not your system.
It’s not easy to describe how it smells. It is a blend of all of the above. What it smells like will never leave you. Ultimately, it’s an electrician’s worst nightmare.
You can have electrical fires in any size and location. Copper and metallic wires form the wiring that runs power through plugs, outlets, lights and TVs.
Depending upon where the wires are placed in relation to each another, they can either produce the same “burning” copper odor or a different smell due to temperature difference.
Here are some possible causes of an electrical burning smell in the home.
1. Overload is when too many currents are flowing through a circuit simultaneously. This causes the wires to heat up, and can cause them to catch fire.
2. Short circuiting – This is when electricity becomes stuck in one wire. It flows into another wire. This can lead to short circuits that can ignite.
3. Ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI)- these breakers detect if an electric current is flowing into your ground and bring the power down before there is any damage done to your home (this also protects you from shock).
4. Faulty wiring: This can be caused if water or ice is present, or if someone trips over your electrical cord, creating a short circuit which leads to fire.
It is dangerous to mix electricity with fire. It is very common to have electrical fires in your home. Electrical fires may occur when older homes have too many outlets or extension cables.
Do not hesitate to call Gigi Emergency Electrician on 07782 805852 if you suspect that there is an electrical smell. It could be toxic.
During a power outage, make sure that all your heating appliances, cookers, grills, and fireplaces are turned off and are clear of debris. It is best to turn all unnecessary devices off, since things that are still working when the power comes back could cause fires or electrical shocks.
A power cut may affect your area if there are no lights on the street or if your neighbors don’t have power.
If you have a power cut, call 105 to get up-to-date information. If they are able to tell you when the power will be restored, they should let you know.
If your neighbours still have power or the street lights are still on, there could be an issue with your fuses or switches.
If you suspect that something is wrong with one of your appliances, the fuse box, or the wiring, contact a qualified electrician.
A blown fuse or frequent power outages can indicate a problem with your circuit breakers. Even though it is intended to cut power in case of surges or other anomalies, frequent outages may indicate that there is a problem with the circuit breaker itself. A professional electrician can find the cause of the problem and fix it.
Oftentimes, we do not have the luxury of scheduling an appointment, however, you can call your local electrician for help in an emergency at any time.
Looking For An Electrician That Has Fast Response
Call Now! 07782 805852