Emergency Electrician 24 Hours a Day
Call Now! 07782 805852
An RCD may react to sudden increases in electrical current or leakage current due to freezer or refrigerator contents thawing.
A poorly connected appliance may occasionally cause an increase in electricity supply. If this happens, then the RCD will trip and restart as it is supposed to. Soon after, the electricity supply should resume normal.
Moisture can cause trip by the RCD if it gets into sockets and electrical boxes outside. It is important to detect moisture in the socket box as soon as possible. Check exterior outlets and electrical terminal boxes regularly for moisture.
Spikes can also result from equipment that is not well maintained, or improperly connected, such as older appliances such as dryers and washers. When there is a correlation in the frequency/time and usage of an appliance and surges, then motors and pumps will most likely be causing the RCD to trip.
This happens when there is a sudden surge in electricity. It can cause severe injury or property damage. These spikes can be caused by lightning strikes, electrical faults, power tools, appliances with motors or pumps, old washing machines and dryers and so on.
A faulty component in your central heating could cause RCD trips. RCD trips are often caused by the defective part turning on and off repeatedly. This can lead to false alarms. Permanent damage could be caused to electrical equipment if your home suffers frequent or prolonged RCD trips due to a faulty component.
It is essential to maintain a high level of electrical safety. Contact Gigi Emergency Electrician at 07782 805852 Your local emergency electrician serving Kings Norton and Stirchley, Bournville, Northfield, Selly Oak, Longbridge
Ohhhhh! The fuse box tripped again. You were in the middle of the game. If your fuse box keeps tripping even though you’re not sure why, it can be very frustrating. It’s a sign that somewhere in your home you might be harbouring a faulty electrical appliance or wiring. So… you could just reset it every time it trips. Or you can identify the problem and fix the issue immediately.
Your fuse box (or, as electricians prefer to call it, your consumer unit) is usually located on the ground-floor if you live in house. If not, it will be under the stairs. Keep the area surrounding your consumer unit clean so that you can quickly access them in an emergency. If you live at the top of a block, your unit will usually be higher than the wall.
A fuse box is vital for the safety of your household. It acts as a gatekeeper between your house and the mains electricity supply.
These currents could prove fatally dangerous in the event of a fault, surge or other unusual activity. A fuse box detects any unusual activity and stops the flow of electricity if it reaches too high. Electrical fires, electric shocks and other accidents would happen all too frequently if modern homes weren’t fitted with fuse boxes or circuit breakers.
If your fuse box panel is open, you can check to see if it has fuses. Circuit breakers appear like a row of switches or levers. Fuses are more traditional. They’re round, and screw into sockets much like tiny light bulbs.
If your circuit breakers or fuses aren’t clearly labelled, do yourself a favour and mark them up according to what room and which lights and sockets go off when you switch them on. You’ll be a blessing to your future self if you ever have to replace a circuit.
Any kind of major electrical fault around the house will need to be repaired by a professional electrician. To avoid any danger of an electrical current, switch off and unplug anything you need to be working on. If you have fuse box problems in Stirchley, Bournville, Northfield, call Gigi Emergency Electrician today! 07782 805852
Miniature Circuit Breakers or MCBs are protective electromagnetic devices which act as switches in a circuit. When the current passes over the circuit’s limit, they automatically open it. The device can also be used as a normal on and off switch manually.
These devices, also known by the time delay tripping device MCBs or time delay tripping systems, are designed to trip and turn off the system if there is overcurrent flowing for longer periods of time. If this happens, the whole circuit can be damaged. However, in the case of short-circuits, these devices can trip and stop the power supply within 2.5 milliseconds.
In an electrical system ‘Fault’ is the condition which arises due to the malfunctioning of some component or wrong electrical practice. Faults can cause serious problems such as fire and explosion if they are not dealt with promptly. Additionally, faults that remain in an electrical system for too long can damage the system’s health. This can result in high energy losses, which in turn causes increased thermal stress.
Faults present a risk to the system. They must be addressed as soon as possible.
Miniature Circuit Breaker or MCB is a protection device that protects against overload and short circuit. It includes a bimetal & a solenoid coil which trips the MCB in case of Overload & Short Circuit respectively. In accordance with IEC 600898-1, MCB will be used to reduce ratings below 0.5125A.
They can be used to protect your home’s wiring, as well as the electrical appliances. If an MCB trip occurs, it is a sign that there is a serious problem and should be addressed immediately.
A typical electrical fire or short emits a metallic, or burning copper, smell. You might also smell rubber mixed in with plastic. This is not something to laugh at as it could indicate that your main power supply has been overload. It is a sign that something has gone wrong. They’ll tell you how serious the issue and whether or not you should call your local emergency number.
Sometimes the electrical smell can be due to an electrical device you have plugged-in and not the system electrical itself.
Although it’s difficult to describe, it smells awful. It is a combination of all of the above. You will never forget what it smells like. It is an electrician’s worst nightmare.
You can have electrical fires in any size and location. Copper and metallic wires form the wiring that runs power through plugs, outlets, lights and TVs.
Depending upon where the wires are placed in relation to each another, they can either produce the same “burning” copper odor or a different smell due to temperature difference.
Below are some reasons you may detect an electrical burning smell in your home.
1. Overload is when too many currents are flowing through a circuit simultaneously. This causes the wires to heat up, and can cause them to catch fire.
2. Short circuiting- When electricity is trapped in one wire but flows into another wire it causes a short circuit, which can result in a fire.
3. Ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) – These breakers detect if any electric current is flowing to your ground and turn it off before you cause damage.
4. Faulty wiring- this can be caused by water or ice, or by someone tripping over your electrical cord and creating a short circuit that leads to fire.
The dangerous combination of fire and electricity is known as “electricity”. It is very common to have electrical fires in your home. Overloaded outlets and extension cords in older homes can lead to electrical fires.
Do not hesitate to call Gigi Emergency Electrician on 07782 805852 if you suspect that there is an electrical smell. It could be toxic.
Check your appliances that use heat and turn them off and clear debris from them when the power is out. When power is restored, everything that is left on will start working again, which could cause a fire or electric shock. If possible, turn off all the unnecessary items.
If your neighbours don’t have power or the street lights are off, there may be a power cut in your area.
If you are experiencing a power outage, you can get the latest information by calling 105. It should also be possible to find out when the power will be back on.
There could be a problem with your fuses or switches if your neighbors still have power.
Get a qualified electrician to fix any appliances or wiring that appears to be malfunctioning.
Whenever you have frequent power outages, or if a tripped fuse cuts power to your entire house, your circuit breaker may be malfunctioning. A circuit breaker cuts power when surges or anomalies are detected, but frequent outages can be a sign that the device is malfunctioning. To get the problem resolved, an electrician will need to identify the source of the problem.
Sometimes we don’t have the luxury of time to schedule an appointment for help, so trust your local electrician to help you when you need it.
Looking For An Electrician That Has Fast Response
Call Now! 07782 805852